More than 435,000 acres have burned across the Lone Star State. The fires continue today, but are slowly dwindling, according to reports from the Texas A&M Forest Service.

The tragic flames have left behind human losses, as well as charred land and dead or injured livestock.

The Perryton fire in Ochiltree, Lipscomb and Hemphill counties is 75 percent contained at 318,056 acres, and the Lefors East fire is 100 percent contained. The Dumas Complex fire burned 28,800 acres.

Livestock supply points have been established to donate or deliver hay to those in need.

Supply Point 1: 301 Bull Barn Dr., Pampa, TX
Contact: Mike Jeffcoat, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service County Extension Agent; Office: 806-669-8033

Supply Point 2: 202 West Main St., Lipscomb, TX
Contact: J.R. Sprague, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service County Extension Agent; Office: 806-862-4601

Supply Point 3: 100 Hackberry Trail, Canadian, TX
Contact: Andy Holloway, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service County Extension Agent; Phone: 806-323-9114

If you find cattle or other livestock with official identification, document the number, location of the animal(s) and call the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) at 512-719-0733 or 806-354-9335. TAHC will contact the owner.

If you find stray cattle that have a brand, call Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association at 817-332-7064 for brand identification.

If cattle have strayed onto your property, you must report them to the sheriff’s office in the county you are located in within five days of discovery to be eligible for reasonable payment for maintenance of or damages caused by the estray livestock.

For more information regarding Texas’ estray laws, visit Texas Agriculture Code, Chapter 142.

The Livestock Indemnity Program is authorized by the Agricultural Act of 2014 to provide benefits to farmers and ranchers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather or disasters.

For more details, contact your local FSA office. Find your local FSA county office here. To learn more about FSA disaster assistance programs, visit

The Texas Department of Agriculture Hay Hotline helps farmers and ranchers locate forage and hay supplies for sale. If you need hay or would like to donate hay, visit or call 877-429-1998.

For questions about carcass disposal, call the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) at 800-832-8224.

Stay up to date with current fire danger situation reports at